When the temperatures drop, it may be tempting to reach for a space heater to provide some additional warmth. While these appliances are convenient, it’s essential to consider their energy consumption and cost. In this article, we’ll explore the energy consumption and cost implications of using a space heater, including tips to save money.
How To Use This Calculator
Using this energy calculator is a simple and will help you determine the costs of running your appliance. Click on ‘Calculate’ to use the predefined values, or enter your daily usage in hours, appliance watts, and your current energy costs in dollars. The calculator will provide you with the daily, monthly, and yearly results. It’s important to ensure the accuracy of the information entered to get the most accurate results.
Hours Used Per Day
Enter the number of hours you estimate the appliance will be on throughout the day. To use fractions of an hour please use a decimal point in the form.
For example: 1 hour and 30 mintes would be 1.5, and 3 hours and 15 minutes would be 3.25
Power Used in Watts
The calculator already includes a default average wattage. If your appliance uses a different wattage then enter it in the calculator.
Your Energy Rate in kWh
The calculator includes an average energy rate (price in $/kWh) to use for the calculation. This may not be the exact price that you’re currently paying for electricity. If you know your energy rate please enter your price per kilowatt-hour.
Space heaters are known for their ability to heat up a room quickly. They use a lot of power to do so. On average, a space heater uses 1800 watts per hour. This high wattage also means that space heaters can be dangerous if not used correctly.
To put this into perspective, consider the following energy usage examples:
- One hour of use of a space heater is equivalent to 1.8 kWh
- Ten hours of use of a space heater is equivalent to 18 kWh
- Twenty-four hours of use of a space heater is equivalent to 43.2 kWh
These numbers may seem insignificant, but the energy consumption can result in a higher electricity bill. Therefore, it’s essential to use space heaters sparingly and only when needed.
Importance of Energy Consumption
Understanding the energy consumption of appliances is becoming increasingly important in today’s world. Reducing the amount of energy used in homes can contribute to a more sustainable future. Additionally, reducing energy usage can help lower electricity bills, leading to significant household savings.
Cost in Dollars of Energy Usage
The energy cost of using a space heater can be calculated by multiplying the wattage of the appliance (1800 watts) by the cost of electricity per kWh. In this case, the current energy price is $0.12 per kWh. Therefore, the hourly cost of using a space heater is 0.216 dollars (1800 * 0.12/1000).
Here are some examples of how much it costs to use a space heater:
- Daily cost: If you use a space heater for eight hours a day, the daily cost will be $1.73 (0.216 * 8).
- Monthly cost: If you use the space heater for eight hours a day, for 30 days, the monthly cost will be $52 (1.73 * 30).
- Yearly cost: If you use a space heater for eight hours a day, for 365 days, the yearly cost will be $632.45 (1.73 * 365).
Money Saving Tips
Despite the high energy consumption, there are ways to save money when using a space heater. Here are some tips:
- Use a programmable thermostat. A programmable thermostat can help regulate the temperature of the room, ensuring the space heater is only used when needed.
- Only heat the necessary room. Instead of heating the whole house, focus on heating the areas that are used most frequently.
- Dress warm. By wearing warmer clothing indoors, you can lower the temperature of the room, reducing the need for a space heater.
- Keep doors closed. By closing doors to unused rooms, you can contain the heat to the areas that are being used.
- Purchase a space heater with a timer. A heater with a timer can automatically turn off after a set period.
In conclusion, space heaters can be expensive to use, but understanding their energy consumption and implementing practical money-saving tips can make them an affordable and convenient option for heating a room. Keep in mind these tips the next time you reach for the space heater.