We all rely on electronic devices to make our lives easier; tablets are one of the most versatile devices around, and one of the most common accessories for them is the tablet charger. However, it’s not uncommon to overlook the cost and energy consumption of using a charger. This article will help you understand the true cost of using a charger, and provide some tips to help you save money.
How To Use This Calculator
Using this energy calculator is a simple and will help you determine the costs of running your appliance. Click on ‘Calculate’ to use the predefined values, or enter your daily usage in hours, appliance watts, and your current energy costs in dollars. The calculator will provide you with the daily, monthly, and yearly results. It’s important to ensure the accuracy of the information entered to get the most accurate results.
Hours Used Per Day
Enter the number of hours you estimate the appliance will be on throughout the day. To use fractions of an hour please use a decimal point in the form.
For example: 1 hour and 30 mintes would be 1.5, and 3 hours and 15 minutes would be 3.25
Power Used in Watts
The calculator already includes a default average wattage. If your appliance uses a different wattage then enter it in the calculator.
Your Energy Rate in kWh
The calculator includes an average energy rate (price in $/kWh) to use for the calculation. This may not be the exact price that you’re currently paying for electricity. If you know your energy rate please enter your price per kilowatt-hour.
A tablet charger uses around 10 watts of electricity. For comparison, the average lightbulb uses around 60 watts. Even though a charger doesn’t use as much energy as other appliances, it’s still important to consider the amount of power it requires. It’s easy to assume that because the amount of energy used is small, it does not have a significant impact. That is not always the case. Keeping your charger plugged in when not in use is one way that your tablet charger can have a greater impact on your power bill than you might expect.
Importance and Relevance
Given the widespread use of tablets and the fact that chargers are needed to keep them running, it’s important to consider the cost of using a tablet charger. Every day, millions of people use tablet chargers without realizing how much they’re spending on electricity. By being mindful of our usage, we can reduce our carbon footprint and save money on our energy bills.
Cost in Dollars of Energy Usage
To calculate the cost of using a charger, we need to know the wattage and the price of energy. For this article, we will assume that the tablet charger uses 10 watts and the energy price is $0.12 per kilowatt-hour (kWh).
To calculate the cost of running your tablet charger, multiply the wattage (10 watts) by the length of time the charger is used in hours per day (let’s say 5 hours).
Cost per day = (10 watts x 5 hours) ÷ 1000 x $0.12 = $0.006
To calculate the monthly cost of using the charger, multiply the daily cost by the number of days in the month (let’s say 30 days).
Cost per month = $0.006 x 30 = $0.18
To calculate the yearly cost of using the charger, multiply the monthly cost by 12.
Cost per year = $0.18 x 12 = $2.16
While these numbers may seem small, they can add up over time.
Money Saving Tips
- Unplug your charger when not in use. This is one of the simplest ways to save energy and money. By doing so, you’ll also be reducing your carbon footprint.
- Purchase a charger that has an automatic shutoff feature. Some chargers are designed to turn off automatically when the device is charged fully. This can help reduce energy waste and save money.
- Charge your tablet during off-peak hours. If your energy provider offers a time-of-use plan, you may be able to save money by charging your tablet during the off-peak hours. This could mean charging your tablet in the evening instead of during the day.
- Consider using a power strip. A power strip allows you to turn off all your devices at once, including your tablet charger. This can be particularly beneficial if you have multiple chargers or devices that you need to charge.
- Use a solar-powered charger. Solar-powered chargers harness the energy from the sun to charge your device, which can be a more cost-effective and environmentally friendly option.
By following these tips, you can save money and reduce your energy consumption. Remember, every little bit counts!