Table of Contents
About Frontier Utilities
Frontier Utilities is a Texas-based retail energy provider (REP) that offers electricity plans to residential and commercial customers in the following states: Texas, New Jersey, Pennsylvania, and Ohio. In addition to the electric plans that Frontier Utilities offers, they also offer natural gas in these markets.
As a 7-Year BBB award winner, Frontier Utilities differentiates itself from other electricity companies by supplying a quality personalized service at affordable rates. Clients who choose to sign up with Frontier Utilities are able to enjoy a variety of electricity plans, in short-term and long-term contacts.
Since it was established in 2008, Frontier Utilities has been one of the favorite power companies in Texas. It is a well-known and respected brand, and they are owned by Quintana Infrastructure and Development, and Jay D. Hellums.
As a Frontier utility customer, you can take advantage of several benefits, such as:
- Flexible billing and payment options
- Earn credit through their Refer-A-Friend program
- Receive weekly summary reports straight to your email
Electricity Plans That Frontier Utilities Offers
In a deregulated energy market like Texas, homeowners and businesses can shop for energy from multiple electric providers. This model creates competition between the different providers which ensures that consumers always enjoy the best possible rates.
To make sure that buyers get the best possible rate, most energy providers offer multiple plan options and term lengths. Each consumer can then choose the plan that is the best for their own usage habits.
Because deciding on which plan will ultimately offer the cheapest price is very difficult. We built a special calculator that does that for you. To find out which plan offers the cheapest rate, go to our comparison page and enter your estimated monthly usage, or let our energy specialists do it for you.
Frontier Utilities Fixed-Rate Plans
With a fixed-rate energy plan, you will have a set electricity price throughout your contract. When you initially sign up you will lock in a specific rate that will not change during the term of your contract. Most contacts range between 6 months to 2 years.
Remember: If you are locked into a contract but you’re moving to a new address, you can move the plan with you to the new address or cancel without an early termination penalty.
Frontier Utilities Green Plans
If you are environmentally conscious and want to help support a greener and more sustainable future by using green energy that comes from a clean and renewable source, then Frontier Utilities offers these exact types of plans! To make sure you’re getting the right plan simply select a plan that shows the 100% Green Energy icon from the SlashPlan list.
An option to consume green energy is available with most fixed-rate electricity plans. You will get the same exact benefits as any other fixed-rate offers with an additional perk, Using electricity guilt-free.
Click here to learn more about renewable clean energy. But here’s the short version:
- Renewable energy comes from natural sources that are replenished like solar, wind, and water.
- Green energy is produced with little to no negative impact on the environment.
- When using renewable energy you still get the same electricity from the grid, so energy reliability is not compromised.
- By choosing a 100% renewable energy green plan you are making your Electric Provider (REP) purchase renewable energy certificates on your behalf.
Frontier Utilities – Best Value 12
This plan is for a 12-month contract for a fixed-rate electricity plan that offers a usage credit of $75 when your monthly energy consumption is between 1,000 and 1,500 kWh. This is a very good plan when you consume this range of monthly energy.
Frontier Utilities – Platinum 24+
The Platinum 24+ plan allows customers to enjoy peace of mind by locking in a low fixed-price for 24 months. This plan guarantees that your energy supply rate will stay constant for two or more years no matter the market fluctuations.
Frontier Utilities – Stay Cozy 12
With this plan, you will enjoy an affordable fixed-rate electricity service for 12 months. The Stay Cozy 12 plan offers you a monthly bill credit of $40 when you use between 1,900 and 2,400 kWh per month.
Frontier Utilities – Frontier Max 12
The popular Frontier Max 12 plan features a 12-month contract for a fixed and locked electricity rate. This plan is perfect for larger homes since it reimburses you $100 every month when your energy consumption is between 2,000 and 2,500 kWh monthly.
Frontier Utilities – Easy Bill 12
This plan offers a 1 low Flat Fee of $78 for your first 1000 kWh of monthly usage. This plan is ideal for small to medium size homes that consume approximately 1000 kWh every month. When you exceed this threshold, the standard energy rates will start applying on top of the monthly fee.
Frontier Utilities Contract Length
When deciding on a new energy plan, whether you are starting a new service, or even if simply switching from a different provider, it is important to consider the contact term of each plan. Frontier Utilities offers plans in the following terms: 6, 12, and 24 months.
When the overall energy market is priced low at the time of your sign up, it is better to lock in a fixed rate for the long term (12 or more months). This ensures that you will keep a good price for a long time, and you won’t have to worry about your energy price fluctuations.
If you think you will move out of your address before the contract expires, or if you anticipate that the energy prices are high at the moment, you can choose a short-term plan, hoping that the energy prices will down before it’s time to renew.
Please also remember, per Texas law, if you move to a new address before your contract expires, you can move your electricity plan to your new address (as long as it’s still supported by the provider), or cancel the plan without paying any early termination fees.
Frontier Utilities Community Initiatives
Frontier Utilities helps residential and commercial consumers adopt energy-saving practices by using smart technology. Customers that are enrolled for the LITE-Up Texas Program are eligible to receive a smart thermostat and free installation. The thermostat displays current power consumption, energy cost per hour, and outdoor temperature. This important information will help you understand your energy consumption habits so you can use less electricity, save money, and help the environment.
Frontier Utilities is also committed to giving back to the communities that they serve by donating. They do this by volunteering and charitable donations to the following organizations:
- Habitat For Humanity – they build affordable energy-efficient homes and through their neighborhood revitalization initiatives, they repair existing older homes for low-income families.
- Kicks for Kids – Bringing underprivileged children out to a Houston Dynamo or Houston Dash game. These valuable donations allow children, who would not otherwise be able to, the opportunity to enjoy a positive morale-building experience at BBVA Compass Stadium.
- Finding The Cure – Susan G Komen – Fighting and raising awareness against Breast Cancer.
Frontier Utilities Tips For Saving Energy
- Adjust your thermostat before going to sleep at night – You’ll be surprised how much energy you can save by doing that! Estimates show that you can save around 10% per year on your heating bills by turning your thermostat down 10 to 15 degrees for eight hours
- Wash clothes in cold water – Up to 90% of the washer’s energy is used for heating water
- Take advantage of our natural heat source – Open blinds, shades, and drapes to let sunlight in
- Upgrade your lightbulbs – Use CFL or LED bulbs and stop using the old incandescent bulbs
- Bundle up with warm clothes – Instead of turning the heat up, put on a cozy sweater and socks. Also, keep some throw blankets on your couch, and add an area rug to avoid the cold floor
- Clean the filters in your dryer – Allow air to circulate efficiently and helps dry your clothes quicker
- Weatherize your home – Ensure that air leaks are sealed and add insulation where necessary
- Replace old appliances with Energy Star qualified appliances
- Use ceiling fans – In the winter you can use them to push hot air down into the room. In the summer you can reverse the direction of the blades and create a nice breeze
- Postpone dishwashing, laundry, and using the oven until the nighttime – Avoid generating extra heat in your home during the day
- Turn off a room air conditioner when you leave
- Close blinds, shades, and drapes to block sunlight – In addition Installing patio covers, awnings, and solar window screens can also shade your home from the sun
- Clean or replace air conditioning filters – depending on the type of filter you purchase, these need to be replaced every 1-3 months. Dirty filters restrict airflow and cause the AC to run longer, increasing your energy use
- Start using an electric fan – This is a perfect replacement for an AC at a time, like when you’re sleeping. An electric fan is significantly cheaper to run than an air conditioner
- Shade your AC unit – Direct sunlight on an air conditioning unit increases its workload
- Service your furnace – Check your furnace filter monthly, and replace it when it gets dirty
- Start using a smart thermostat
- Take advantage of the cool weather – During cooler, less humid weather, open the windows instead of using an air conditioner
- Close off unused areas – Close cooling vents and turn off window air conditioners in unused rooms
- Don’t set the thermostat too low – Set your airconditioner’s thermostat at a level that your comfortable with, but not too low. The higher the setting, the more energy you save.
Frontier Utilities - Free CoolSaver A/C Tune-up
Frontier customers in the CenterPoint Energy Houston Electric and Texas-New Mexico Power region may now be eligible for a complimentary A/C tune-up. This benefit is valued at more than $120.
To check eligibility, contact Frontier’s support. But generally, you should be eligible if:
- You are a current Frontier customer in the CenterPoint Energy Houston Electric or Texas-New Mexico Power Gulf Coast region.
- You have a central A/C or heat pump that is at least one year old and not in need of major repair at the time of the tune-up.
- You have individual A/C systems that are no more than 5 tons for residential customers and 25 tons for commercial customers.
- You are a residential customer residing in a single-family home, duplex, townhome, or condominium.
- A CoolSaver A/C tune-up has not been performed in the past 5 years.
Does Frontier Utilities Require a Deposit?
When enrolling in a new energy plan Frontier Utilities will run a soft credit check. Based on your credit they may require a small deposit, which is refundable when your contract ends.
Under certain circumstances, you may be eligible for a deposit waiver:
- If you are 65 or older and you are not currently past due on your electricity bill
- If you’ve been legally designated as a victim of Family Violence
- If your electric account isn’t currently in delinquent status
- If you haven’t made a late payment more than once over the course of the last year
If any of these circumstances apply to you, or if you feel like the deposit should be waived, please contact 4Change Energy directly.
Frontier Utilities FAQs
Does Frontier Utilities have a cancellation fee?
The fee depends on the product you choose. Month-to-month plans do not have a cancellation fee. A fixed-term plan will most likely have a cancellation fee if you cancel your agreement before the term expires. All the details will be included in your EFL and TOS.
I am moving in to my new home in less than 3 business days, can I get power sooner?
When you enroll in a new plan and request a new move-in service, Frontier Utilities will process that order and send it out for completion the same day. For that point, your local utility company may need to get a reading of your meter. If you have a smart meter installed, this can happen in less than 24 hours. If not, this process normally takes up to 3 days.
Why do you need my SSN during enrollment?
Frontier Utilities uses your SSN to review your payment history with other providers and/or check your credit score and determine if a deposit is required in order to start service. Your SSN is only provided through a secure form on our website and is not shared or stored with any employees or visible to anyone.
Frontier Utilities is a superb electricity company. They have been around for a long and are a reputable and recognizable retail electric provider in the markets they operate in. They keep their operational costs low and roll these savings directly to their customers, so many of their plans are priced very low depending on your monthly usage.
Frontier Utilities is a 7 year BBB (Better Business Bureau) award winner, so you can sign up with them being confident that their support team is great and will assist you with any issue that may come up.
Frontier Utilities Reviews
Report An Outage - Frontier Utilities
If you have a power outage with Frontier Utilities you will need to contact the utility company directly (also known as TDU - transmission and delivery utility). This is a different company than Frontier Utilities. Your utility company is determined by your service address, and there are 5 of these TDUs in Texas:
Please remember, if you have a power outage, you should not contact Frontier Utilities about it, but rather your TDU company
Still not convinced?
See some of our other plans
Please note: The rates above are updated periodically. Current energy rates may have changed since our last update. To get the latest energy rates in your area please go to our comparison page and enter your zip code. Energy rates shown above are for a residential monthly consumption of 1000 kWh in zip code 77043.
If you live in a deregulated energy state like Texas you can save on your Electric Bill
Here are some of the cities we serve:
- Houston, TX
- Mission, TX
- Fort Worth, TX
- Dallas, TX
- Midland, TX
- Mcallen, TX
- Pearland, TX
- Corpus Christi, TX
- Big Spring, TX
- Alvin, TX
- Katy, TX
- Abilene, TX
- Sugar Land, TX
- Arlington, TX
- Missouri City, TX
- Laredo, TX
- Richmond, TX
- Harlingen, TX
- Edinburg, TX
- Plano, TX
- Cypress, TX
- Killeen, TX
- Humble, TX
- Dickinson, TX
- Grand Prairie, TX
- Mesquite, TX
- Angleton, TX
- Tyler, TX
- Eagle Pass, TX
- Allen, TX
- Spring, TX
- Eden, TX
- Belton, TX
- Carrollton, TX
- Baytown, TX
- San Benito, TX
- Mansfield, TX
- Irving, TX
- La Porte, TX
- Lewisville, TX
- North Richland Hills, TX
- Brownwood, TX
- Bay City, TX
- Big Lake, TX
- Round Rock, TX
- League City, TX
- Grapevine, TX
- Coppell, TX
- Tomball, TX
- Wichita Falls, TX
- Burleson, TX
- Kingsville, TX
- Colorado City, TX
- Euless, TX
- Pharr, TX
- Waco, TX
- Victoria, TX
- Weslaco, TX
- Del Rio, TX
- Temple, TX
- Pasadena, TX
- Rio Grande City, TX
- Lufkin, TX
- Waxahachie, TX
- Sherman, TX
- Red Oak, TX
- Mckinney, TX
- Haltom City, TX
- Rockwall, TX
- Menard, TX
- Pecos, TX
- La Marque, TX
- Alice, TX
- Rockport, TX
- Athens, TX
- Galveston, TX
- Cedar Hill, TX
- Richardson, TX
- Magnolia, TX
- Crosby, TX
- Los Fresnos, TX